Winter Bah

rbaker.1

Dec 4, 2006
This is the first winter in 22 years that we are spending here in Canada. We are not rich but did buy a cheap little piece of property in the Keys. 75 X 35 with a dock and a broken down cememnt building. Paid $30K for it and for the next 5 years we spent the winters fixing the pleace up. With the building and the trailer we lived a beautiful winter.

I bought a cheap boat and fixed it up and would just go out on the sea and sit there. As of the last few years I found I could not get health insurance, so I visited doctors here and had a couple of bucks in the bank just in case I needed a flight home.

Had a call from a neighbour down there who wanted to buy the place. We spoke to them the next winter and agreed to sell. $165.000 The stipulation was that we would hold off the last 1/3 of the money and could use the place till we could not go anymore.

Sold the boat and just in time Hurricane Wilma came by and distroyed the boat and everything in the place. We had 31 ins of sea water in the place.

We threw everythin in the garbage and FEMA and the Red Cross gave us a few bucks that helped.

I acquired Pulminary Fibroses and am near a cripple, can't hardly breath. So time is short, but we did not go down because my lady (wife) needs a knee replacement on Jan 21 and we will be here for the winter.

ENOUGH CRYING HERE.
I do remember the goodtimes on the strip. when the was the carnival and the dance hall. I went there in 1944 to see Vaughn Monroe. Used to get on the boat at James Street and come to the strip every Saturday.
Life was a holiday on the strip.Angus Inn bonfires on the beach, swimming in the bay, Lights music, Girls. etc. Calsonetti's fish and chip place at the canal.
My best buddy Peter Coletti. Wonder if you know who he is. Ha.
How do I miss it. Moved to Burlington Indian Point and always travel the beach strip .

Boo Hoo

Rae Baker

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hell oooooooo
Just got things sorted out to get into the web., BUT How do I change my user name ?
The one on here is the one I use from Key West Fl. But I have chaned my ISP that will allow me to use it from down there and here.

By the way it is 78 F down there today.

Rae
Yes rub it in, it's raining here and one degree colder and it will be one huge ice rink, sorry to hear about your health and I hope you do get along better in the cold Canada weather, the prediction is for a bad one this year. I have put your two posts together (sort of) and I'm a little confused, you are down south now and heading back to stay when your wife is scheduled to have her knee done??

You can change your email address anytime you wish in "UserCP" or just let me know and I will do it for you. You can't change your user name, but I can.
Do you sign in with different names???

Nice to see you made some money off your property, wish I could.:D

If you hear from Pete, say hi for me.

rbaker.1

Dec 4, 2006
A big thanks to the net minder Just ask and he will reply. Guess he has much affection for the site, as so many of us do.
I hope that this net lives a long time and use it to keep an eye on what is going on here.

I was thinking that a big Corn Beef and Cabbage diner would be nice in March but where to hold it. I usually go to one down south on Big Pine Key and for $15.00 per it is a feast an a lot of good friendly people.

Thanks so much again. and looking to the yard sale.

Rae Baker

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
You are very welcome Rae, try and stay warm with all that snow coming this weekend.

Corn beef and cabage is a big seller??? I don't know if that would go over too well down at the club.

Top Bottom