Woe to the Cormorant

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The Hamilton Spectator
(Aug 8, 2005)
I recently spent some time visiting the most beautiful spot on Hamilton Bay. The place is a little inlet just around Carrol's Point. It can be seen from the High Level Bridge with a good set of binoculars, or by boat which is by far the preferred route. It is close, yet away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Lots of birds and animals everywhere, and lots of large shady trees.

This is the spot where in the 1930s and 1940s people flocked to the warm, sandy beach to fish and swim.

My story, however, has a sad ending. By fall of next year, I believe that Carrol's Point will look like a bomb hit it. The large beautiful trees around its perimeter will be dead, many of the birds and wildlife will be gone and the water will look like a giant septic tank, all because of a bird called the cormorant.

You can see what's to come by looking at their nests surrounding this area. About eight years ago, I visited Manitoulin Island and saw the destruction they caused to the trees and the good fishing areas. They are excellent swimmers and can easily clean up on the perch, bass or other fish that live in the shallow waters. They nest in trees and their excrement, which is very acidic, kills the trees. This can be easily seen from the Eastport expressway where there are thousands of cormorants and lots of dead trees.

Hamilton has a lot of people and organizations which claim to be helping to bring back the bay. We have tree counters who got a large grant to count the trees. We have the Royal Botanical Gardens working to protect this area, and The Bay Area Restoration Council that claims to be cleaning up the bay.

Yet nobody has the courage to do the right thing and reduce the number of cormorants, for fear they might hurt someone's feelings or by not pleasing everyone, lose a few votes.

Anyhow I've said what I wanted to say. If anyone wants to see the prettiest spot on the bay. Do it now, for by next year it will be gone.

-- Len Wilson, Hamilton
Photo #1- Too many cormorants could spell trouble for the bay.

Photo #2- "They nest in trees and their excrement kills the trees."(Forum Photo)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Lots of reading there, thanks Sprint. Ever since those islands beside CCIW were made protected nesting grounds, cormorants have been coming here by the thousands. I never seen one before then. :eek:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Cormorant damage must be undone

By Jim Davies, Hamilton
The Hamilton Spectator
(Aug 15, 2005)
RE: 'Too many cormorants could spell trouble for the Bay' (Aug. 8)

My son and I know what the letter writer means with regard to the destruction cormorants can cause.

A small island just off the north shore of Cootes Paradise was one we called "our island." Over the years, we paddled, skated and walked to our island and declared "our ownership" any time we drove along York Boulevard or Highway 403.

A few years ago, the cormorants came in large numbers and reduced it to a white, stinking dung heap. The trees and plant life are completely gone and the cormorants have moved on to continue their destructive ways in other places such as Carols Point.

So you don't have to wait until next year to see the spoils of Carols Point, you can see what's left of our island today.

We shouldn't stand by and watch it happen. We have the ability to act, now we need the public will.

james 101

Jul 23, 2005
today i was at princess point rideing on the trails and saw about 20 of them in the bush guess i interupted there lunch they dropped a bunch of siver bass on my back along the trail was littered with dead fish this could spell trouble for the fish stock in the lake these birds must be stopped soon if i only had a shotgun scotto how you been did your new password work let me know :dancedude

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
That's why the gulls hang around them, a free lunch. Not only are they causing havoc with the fish population, but as written the first letter, they make a huge mess of the place they call home. Attached is a picture of Carrol's Point in the west end of the Harbour that was taken last August, lets see how it looks next August.
James, I will PM you.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Only a year late on this one, so by now Carol's Point should be a complete wasteland, not so. Check the attached photo, the whole area is green as green can be and there isn't a cormorant in sight.
What happened??
I asked John Hall from RAP why the cormorants, due to their great numbers, didn't destroy the trees and grounds around Carol's Point?

For John that was an easy question, apparently there was so much breeding and therefore eggs, the raccoons moved in and eat all the eggs, the cormorants gave up and left.
As John stated, "Sometimes it is better to leave nature's course up to nature".

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Don't forget the stench when driving down Eastport Drive before hitting Lakeshore Drive from the Burlington.... it is enough to make you sick from the smells.
I hear you on that one!!!
I guess that's a spot (or one of them) where the racoons can't easily access.

We had it much worse on our side of the tracks when the ponds on Eastport was home to thousands of them, which was the reason I added a story from the Spec that wasn't directly related to the Beach.

smr714

RIP July 1969-April, 2009
Mar 15, 2004
Beach Blvd.
www.neopets.com
As much as we like having a bird sanctuary in the area, it does have some hazzards, with no natural preditory cycle to keep it under control. I guess we just have to keep waiting to see what happens.

Top Bottom