Woodward Ave Closure

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
You may have noticed the signs at the south end of the Beach Strip, "Access to Woodward To Be Closed, Starting March 19th".
I didn't see any more info than that, so I checked with Councillor Collins and I was sent this reply today.

Thanks to Michael R. Marini of the City's Public Works Dept. for checking into this closure.
Hello Councillor:

Further to your e-mail dated March 17, the MTO (i.e. Aecon Construction), is planning to close Beach Blvd. under the QEW between 7:00 p.m. and 5:30 a.m on Wednesday March 19, 2008 and Thursday March 20, 2008. They will allow access for buses and emergency vehicles to pass when required. Another two night closure will be required during the week of March 31, 2008Actual dates should be confirmed late next week. Please contact me if you require anything further. Thank you.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Update

There will be another closure of the southend of Beach Boulevard Thursday & Friday April 3rd & 4th from 7:00 PM until 5:30 AM. Buses and Emergency Service Vehicles will still have access. All other vehicles will have to use the north end of Eastport Dr to access Beach Blvd during these hours.

Thanks to Beach resident BD for the update.:rock:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yes smr, I did post a notice about the Skyway closures in another thread. They will be taking place all summer long.

But now that you bring it up, I think something should be done to make it a little easier to access the Beach. It has been closed to traffic because there were complaints that there was too much traffic on the Beach Strip during the shutdown.
Maybe we should suggest a better solution?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
They blocked the entre entrance to and from Beach Blvd. I knew the skyway was being closed but this was Beach that the officer had blocked off.
Yes, they also block Eastport were all the Skyway travels back onto the QEW.
On one of the closures last year I asked the Officer that blocked it why it was closed, he told me that there was construction and no one was to be allowed access. So I just drove with the rest of the traffic along the southbound QEW and exited off at Woodward, then back to the Beach.
There wasn't any construction on Eastport.
There is plenty of signage telling everyone that only local traffic is permitted onto Beach Blvd, so why is it being blocked at the north end of the Beach?
I think the whole process should be re-thought.

Top Bottom