Woodward Closure Comments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Woodward Ave. Closure Comments from Councillor Collins

Hi Scott, I received a couple of inquiries (one from a Beach resident, another from a non-beach resident) about the proposed work on Woodward Avenue, and the impact the closure might have on response times. Please find below the responses from our Public Works Department, and our Acting Fire Chief. As always, I'd be happy to respond to any other inquiries that might arise.

(PW response) I have discussed this further with our Construction staff. CNR will only let us work when they have a flagman present and under the condition that no traffic will be required to travel across the tracks not protected by signals/crossing gates. Since we have to close lanes to undertake the work the only way CN will let us work is to put up permanent barriers. Therefore a gate or non-CN security to facilitate emergency crossing can not be considered by CN.

We will endeavor to minimize the time required for road closure but we have no other alternative.

(Fire Chief response) Councillor Collins,
As a follow up I would like to provide the following information pertaining to the Woadward avenue closure:
I have reviewed the impact that the Woodward Ave. closure might have on a Fire response to the Beach Strip and determined that response times from the Melvin Ave. (Station #8) could be impacted from one (1) minute to a maximum of two (2) minutes based on traffic volume, speed, weather conditions and road conditions.

I have contacted Gary Moore from Public Works to see if there are any other alternatives that could be utilized during construction to allow the road to be open for emergency services only, but have been advised that there are non.

Given the response from public works I have contacted Burlington Fire and have put in place a temporary automatic aid response to the Beach Strip area during the period of the closure. What this means is that for all responses to the Beach Strip both Hamilton Fire and Burlington Fire will be responding simultaneously. This will provide maximum coverage with minimal impact to residents.

Top Bottom