Beach Blvd. up and coming? How do you feel?

As a long time resident of the beach, I have to agree with Scott and a few others on this forum,that I'm not sure all this change is for the better. This is not a reflection on those who have bought at the Andrin or Dynes sites but on the city which is broke and needs the revenue and the developers who maximize profits by cramming as much in as possible. I live directly across from the Andrin site and while I believe they will be nice homes when finished and certainly nicer to look at than the view I have now since they cut down the trees to build the homes,70 homes in that space just seems to us long time residents too much. I can walk 4-5 blocks in either direction counting homes on both sides of the Blvd. to count 70 and the Dynes project is the same. I'm afraid if the province sells the Bell Cairn site beside me that could easily add another 150 homes.I'm not against progress but I wish we could have homes/townhomes that allowed for more space/yards . The homes by the ball diamond are an example where nice homes were built with nice sized yards keeping more in common with existing homes.I also agree that some homes would best be knocked over and rebuilt so long as they were rebuilt as single family homes which is what most are suppose to be built as.
With regard to the taxes, the reason most of us feel put out is because the increase in the property taxes down here have driven many long time residents to leave because they are now retired/seniors and can no longer afford to stay. I have relatives who lived their whole married life on the beach who left because they couldn't justify spending $5,000 of their pension yearly on taxes for their tiny home on the lake.All the new homeowners will be paying the same I believe once they get their assessments.The ones on the lakeside even more.I, myself after building a new home down here am having second thoughts about staying. In 4 years the assessment has gone up almost 100 % even though we've not done anything other than adding grass since building.This is only a good thing for those who wish to go not stay.I love the beach but I'm not sure I still love it enough to pay 10 K a year in taxes for garbage removal .Anyway, welcome to the Beach, if you see me cutting the grass or playing in the yard with my kids say hello and bring deep pockets,you're going to need them
Well put :tbu:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sell the school property!! At the rate they are going they should open it again. All the young families moving in. Wouldn't that be something?
Oh! The bright side!!!:dancedude

Good post RHammond, I really prefer single family homes.
I don't mind getting many new neighbours (more of the bright side), however we have never had condos or crowded townhouses on the Beach, so I don't see how that adds to the heritage. And yes the City won't complain, big dollars are coming their way.

I wouldn't worry (for now) about the school being the next project, I would look at the properties at the old Ryan's Drug store, or the one that I think is next is the motel. Still both are within sight from your front step.
The way the economy is heading could have some effect, but that could just push more residents out of the Toronto area and move to our somewhat cheaper community.

Mormac makes very good point, if the population comes back to the levels of say, the fifties, will we as a community need some sort of a school. The Province may not want or be in a position to give up Bell Cairn, they have sunk a lot of time and money into the building, all new signs this week. Where will that end up in the new (crowded) Beach.

varsr

Aug 18, 2007
this is all so interesting - is there a book about the beach community and the history? where is Ryans drug store? and what is the Bell Cairn property?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
this is all so interesting - is there a book about the beach community and the history? where is Ryans drug store? and what is the Bell Cairn property?
There are many book on the Beach, one author has done a few. Check out Gay Evans at the library.

Both of these properties are almost across from each other. Which would create far too much traffic if ever made into housing developments.
Now a jail guard school and very hard to miss, Bell Cairn was our second school on the Beach. It is located across and slightly north of the Adrin project, do a search of this Forum and you will find lots of reading concerning that school.
Past the school on the oppisite side of the blvd. (still north) you will see a shutter business and the old Skyway Canvas, that would be the Ryans Drug store location from the no so long ago old days. Check out the spare land in the back, scary.
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595

Roberta

May 29, 2008
The two buildings on the Green Gables property will be gone, I'm surprised that they are still there.
And there are a few other down here that are in the same shape, with taxes the way they are, I can't see those staying for too much longer.
Then our taxes will go up again.

I was talking to one resident tonight, his assessment went up $240,000. That is just plain obscene.

Thanks for choosing our community.
Why doesnt everyone get together and go and fight it. We did that yeasrs ago with our home in Burlington. A few people in our court got together and fought them on it and they lowered the assesment alot!

Roberta

May 29, 2008
As a new comer to the area I agree Roberta. I have been familiar with the area for many years and have enjoyed biking etc pre path days and now since the new path. I also hope that the community can move forward while still maintaining it's heritage and am very excited about becoming part of a thriving, unique community!
Thanks for the support!

Roberta

May 29, 2008
As a long time resident of the beach, I have to agree with Scott and a few others on this forum,that I'm not sure all this change is for the better. This is not a reflection on those who have bought at the Andrin or Dynes sites but on the city which is broke and needs the revenue and the developers who maximize profits by cramming as much in as possible. I live directly across from the Andrin site and while I believe they will be nice homes when finished and certainly nicer to look at than the view I have now since they cut down the trees to build the homes,70 homes in that space just seems to us long time residents too much. I can walk 4-5 blocks in either direction counting homes on both sides of the Blvd. to count 70 and the Dynes project is the same. I'm afraid if the province sells the Bell Cairn site beside me that could easily add another 150 homes.I'm not against progress but I wish we could have homes/townhomes that allowed for more space/yards . The homes by the ball diamond are an example where nice homes were built with nice sized yards keeping more in common with existing homes.I also agree that some homes would best be knocked over and rebuilt so long as they were rebuilt as single family homes which is what most are suppose to be built as.
With regard to the taxes, the reason most of us feel put out is because the increase in the property taxes down here have driven many long time residents to leave because they are now retired/seniors and can no longer afford to stay. I have relatives who lived their whole married life on the beach who left because they couldn't justify spending $5,000 of their pension yearly on taxes for their tiny home on the lake.All the new homeowners will be paying the same I believe once they get their assessments.The ones on the lakeside even more.I, myself after building a new home down here am having second thoughts about staying. In 4 years the assessment has gone up almost 100 % even though we've not done anything other than adding grass since building.This is only a good thing for those who wish to go not stay.I love the beach but I'm not sure I still love it enough to pay 10 K a year in taxes for garbage removal .Anyway, welcome to the Beach, if you see me cutting the grass or playing in the yard with my kids say hello and bring deep pockets,you're going to need them

I saw you cutting your grass last Saturday. My husband and I do weekly visits to the the strip to check on progress. We always park in the parking lot beside your home. Thanks for your thoughts. You guys are really freaking me out about these taxes!
I agree that it would be nice to see some single or semi type homes with some yardage. We arent thrilled about having little space and no yard, but justified by knowing the lake and path and parks are across the street.

Webster

Oct 15, 2006
Off Beach Blvd.
My assessment went up over 50% of last one.......and from my opinion; it is assessed higher than what I could sell the house for. It's just a small 1 bedroom house, on the bay side.
I've tried to keep the renos on the inside, and just upkeep on the outside, for fear of this happening, but obviously it doesn't make any difference......or maybe they would have put it up 75%. How knows.

Hopefully we won't be heading for the same epidemic Waterdown has. Some taxes out there have tripled and I spoke with one guy, his went up almost 4 times what he was paying.

It's hard to say, with the declining economy, whether this is one time substantial increase or not. At least I believe that's a possibility for the bay side, but on the lake side, I think it's just the beginning of the increases.

The reason I moved here was for the tight knit community. I knew people who lived here and they loved it.
Looked at my house, could afford it, so I bought it. Never view any other house before that. I didn’t buy it for a quick buck or flip.

It's sad to see the 'historians' that have lived here for 50+ years having to leave. They stuck through it in the rough times, floods, bikers, everything! and they built it up to what it is today.
I' will miss meeting them and learning a brief history lesson.

And a special thanks to you Scott, for the web site & info :tbu:

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Just a suggestion

I am one of those people in a town house, geez do I feel welcome:p

I too was a concerned about my assesment so I appealed it.

If you are concerned go to MPAC
21 King St W suite 300
Hamilton

Cheap parking on KingWillam or out front of 21 King if you get there first thing in the
morning.

I feel if all residents appeal the assessment maybe they will bring it down.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I am one of those people in a town house, geez do I feel welcome:p

I too was a concerned about my assesment so I appealed it.

If you are concerned go to MPAC
21 King St W suite 300
Hamilton

Cheap parking on KingWillam or out front of 21 King if you get there first thing in the
morning.

I feel if all residents appeal the assessment maybe they will bring it down.
I wonder if we could do a mass one??

Mormac

May 1, 2006
Check out the photo "gallery" there are lots of pictures of the school. Not as much when it was a school but a lot of those trees in front of the building were planted by graduating classes back in the early 60s.

RHammond

Oct 11, 2004
I hope waterlily has better luck with MPAC than I did. While we were moving in in Sept/04 they visited to assess the property.At the beginning of October I received an asessment of $ 330,000 which I thought was reasonable.One week later I received a new assessment for 397,000. When I asked how the house could have gone up 20 % in one week they told me the assessment was for the 2005 year. I asked for reconsideration and went to meet MPAC personnel downtown and they showed 2-3 houses that had sold on the beach for over $ 400,000 and told me as my house was brick and brand new I would easily get that.Then he said I could pay to go before The Assessment Reveiw Board but I didn't have a leg to stand on and I was better off spending the money on my children. At least he was honest. I don't know what you were assessed at but talking to the represenatives at Branthaven the last few days, they are asking and getting close to $500,000 for the remaining homes facing the water. I hope I'm wrong,but I think this may work against you. BTW I'm not criticizing people for living in townhomes, what I'm trying to say is that in my opinion 70 homes in a space that used to house a gas station and 7 homes when I started at Bell Cairn in'67 is too much. They could have easily built 30-35 nice homes with yards in that space. I as said before the city needs the revenue and the builders aren't going to be living here so they cram as much in as they can because the city lets them. These 2 sites will easily be bringing in $500,000-700,000 a year in property tax revenue to the city. I hope a chunk of that is invested each year to make improvements/upgrade parks for the residents down here,especially improvements for the children.

varsr

Aug 18, 2007
We have also recently popped into Branthaven and were shocked to hear $460,000 range for the remaining units. Since then I have heard that the first lots sold to faimly and friends for high $200,000? This doesn't make a whole lot of sense - would really like to know what they were selling for at the beginning - strange that they didn't have price lists of any kind available

Roberta

May 29, 2008
We have also recently popped into Branthaven and were shocked to hear $460,000 range for the remaining units. Since then I have heard that the first lots sold to faimly and friends for high $200,000? This doesn't make a whole lot of sense - would really like to know what they were selling for at the beginning - strange that they didn't have price lists of any kind available
The opening night the prices were approx :
For outer edge townhomes with backyard 279,00 ish
inner back to back no yard 219,00 ish
facing the water 389,00 ish

I dont know how they can sell these for that much money!

varsr

Aug 18, 2007
thanks Roberta - that makes a bit more sense - $389,000 to $460,000. High $200,000 to $460 was pushing it. And I agree - it's alot of money I am surprise how many have sold. Another property on beach went up yesterday - our next door neighbour - not on MLS yet so not sure yet of listed price. Insteresting to watch

Roberta

May 29, 2008
thanks Roberta - that makes a bit more sense - $389,000 to $460,000. High $200,000 to $460 was pushing it. And I agree - it's alot of money I am surprise how many have sold. Another property on beach went up yesterday - our next door neighbour - not on MLS yet so not sure yet of listed price. Insteresting to watch
Ya - not as big of a jump but still alot of money for very little space! My husband and I considered purchasing but couldnt justify paying alot more for less space than Andrin where we will be moving into in the spring.
The prices have gone up ALOT from the original - The prices for the outer edge townhomes on the Branthaven site are over 310,00 and the inner ones close to 300,000... its insane! I think that the lakefront ones are like 500,000 now (only a couple left) The prices were going up over night and sometimes went up 2 times in one day. I would love to be on the beach side BUT not willing to pay that kind of money for a tiny house and no property!

LBennink

Oct 28, 2009
Ya - not as big of a jump but still alot of money for very little space! My husband and I considered purchasing but couldnt justify paying alot more for less space than Andrin where we will be moving into in the spring.
The prices have gone up ALOT from the original - The prices for the outer edge townhomes on the Branthaven site are over 310,00 and the inner ones close to 300,000... its insane! I think that the lakefront ones are like 500,000 now (only a couple left) The prices were going up over night and sometimes went up 2 times in one day. I would love to be on the beach side BUT not willing to pay that kind of money for a tiny house and no property!
Roberta I moved in last month to Andrin. I love it here. My opinion is that the Beach community is in dire need of some updates however we should preserve the history. You have to move forward but remember were you came from.

By the way, does anyone know what is going in the Branthaven commercial units yet?

Top Bottom