532 Beach Blvd.

RHammond

Oct 11, 2004
Scotto,

The photo you have displayed is in fact Dalzell's. I used to pick up magazines from Britain that my grandmother ordered through them and visited the store many times with her when I was younger. The store beside Santini's that had the mini-pops was Walker's Variety. During the late 60's and early 70's when I attended Bell Cairn, Mrs. Walker ran a small variety store/post office from the front of the building and lived at the back of the building which Mr and Mrs. Dalzell did as well. Hope this helps.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I guess I will admit defeat on the Dalzell's discussion. Blame it on my age. I will now reprogram my memory to read "Walker's" instead of Dalzell's.
I should also correct a something in the Noel Hughes story. I think it took place in the late 40's not the late 50's as I said in the previous post.
Does anybody remember the pressed paper fireman's hats that Texaco gave out as premiums in the 40's?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I'm Glad we got that staighten out.:beer:

I will try the library and see if that names comes up, hopefuuly the year won't matter.

Do you still have one of the firehats?? I didn't have a car in the 40's.

suesue

Jul 6, 2008
It's those doohickey things they place beside your windows. In places with bad weather (hurricanes) people use them to cover their windows, up here they are mostly used as decoration.
Thanks for that info..i always thought it was a camera store....lol....DOHH!

I am enjoying looking at the old photographs.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
07-20-2007, 05:02 PM
This might be the place that was once known as Dalzell's. There used to be a Texaco station next door. Dalzell's used to have the best selection of candy on the Beach.

I think Dalzell's was little further down, the shutter place is beside where Ryan's Drugstore once stood.

This page indicates that Bill Ryan had a drug store at 719 Beach Boulevard from 1935 to 1949, and then a second location which he built in the winter of 1949. So the second location must be the one you’re talking about here. The page indicates that this information comes from Gary Evans book.
http://images.burlington.halinet.on.ca/results?gid=5911594

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Crawfish
08-23-2008, 12:35 PM
And now that I look back at the thread I don't believe that the picture shown from the 1980 Beach Pics (#14) is of the place that I remember as Dalzell's. This place (pic #14) was, in fact, nearer the south end of the Beach and I don't think I ever went there. It was too far from home but I remember seeing it from the car. Dalzell's was next to the Texaco and on the other side of the Texaco (the north side) was a butcher shop owned by a Beach guy named Noel .......? He was robbed one day and the robbers knocked him on the noggin and locked him in his meat cooler where he was found quite a bit later by a curious customer. I'll bet that would be in the Spectator files. I wish I could remember his last name...he was actually a friend of my father's. Must have occurred in the late 50's. I will probably remember his name the moment I post this.
08-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Crawfish;
I have asked another resident from back then and he tells me that the store south of the Texaco was called Walker's. Any memories?
Maybe I should check with the Santini's and see if they a picture from back then.
08-23-2008, 02:38 PM
He was robbed one day and the robbers knocked him on the noggin and locked him in his meat cooler where he was found quite a bit later by a curious customer. I'll bet that would be in the Spectator files. I wish I could remember his last name...he was actually a friend of my father's. Must have occurred in the late 50's. I will probably remember his name the moment I post this.

If you remember, let me know. Might be able to look it up at the Library.
08-23-2008, 06:45 PM
The name was Noel Hughes. I knew it would come to me eventually.

Crawfish
08-24-2008, 08:45 AM
I guess I will admit defeat on the Dalzell's discussion. Blame it on my age. I will now reprogram my memory to read "Walker's" instead of Dalzell's.
I should also correct a something in the Noel Hughes story. I think it took place in the late 40's not the late 50's as I said in the previous post.
Does anybody remember the pressed paper fireman's hats that Texaco gave out as premiums in the 40's?

Crawfish,
This item in ‘Beach Articles From 1954’ refers to ‘nowle’s Meat Market’.

11-09-2013, 07:02 PM

“Successful Social
A most successful social was held by the Catholic Ladies Club at the Church of the Little Flower. Mrs. Fred Jento and Mrs. W. Pett were the hostesses Prizes were won by Mesdames J Nixon, H. Miljure, W. Pett George Camanti, W. Leeming D. E. Kerr. The next social will be the annual euchre and bridge at the school auditorium on Saturday, April 24 at 8 p.m. There is still insufficient material for cancer dressings. Any clean cotton, flannelette sheeting, etc, is acceptable and can be left at Noel's Meat Market, Pett's store, Mrs. F. Gilchrists', Mrs. Jentos' home.”

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2230.html

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The Butcher changed it to a restaurant in 1955. (Hughes ?)
I see that I am missing a few pictures from this thread, I will try and find what I had there.
Never heard that one, do you know where it was located?
On another topic, members of the Hughes family are looking to contact Ryan (Bud) Hughes if anyone has any contact info, please pass it along.
One more comment, there is a Hughes family on the Beach, but they are not related.

37brighton

Mar 22, 2016
Where Skyway Canvas used to be, now the Rustic Rose?

Edit;
I should have my north and south right, so correction, where the old store used to be. I am told it was much smaller a building at one time?
It was a fairly new (late 40's-early 50's) red brick building with dairy bar and a number of tables. It would be full of kids from Bell Cairn at lunchtime.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It was a fairly new (late 40's-early 50's) red brick building with dairy bar and a number of tables. It would be full of kids from Bell Cairn at lunchtime.
So that is what that building started out as, I have a few pictures I took when the present owner strip the front off the outside showing the red brick. I will post them later.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
So that is what that building started out as, I have a few pictures that I took when the present owner strip the front off the outside showing the red brick. I will post them later.

Top Bottom