954 Beach Blvd

Apr 14, 2021
Good morning....I bought this house (954) about 5 years ago. A lot of work has been required to clean it up - and more work to do yet.

It is in the historic "district" of beach, apparently built in the 1890's. I have met a few people who grew up in the area who remember the home, or "played in that house when I was a kid". Nobody has any info to offer however.

I have searched everywhere but cannot find either names of those who owned the home or - more importantly - photos (pre-2000). I reached out to the city and am still waiting for a reply; as well as my real estate agent. The library is not a resource until the pandemic recedes

Names might lead to social media posts or other public stories.

My goal is a collage of photos on the wall either in the hallway or living room which tells the history (good and bad) of this house.

Any photos or hints on where to look would be appreciated.

I attached a photo of the front.
Shawn
front.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I used to live a couple doors to the north, but I don't recall much history on the place. In the old gallery we have photos of many of the beach home that were taken back in 1980. I will have a look through to see if your place is in there.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I used to live a couple doors to the north, but I don't recall much history on the place. In the old gallery we have photos of many of the beach home that were taken back in 1980. I will have a look through to see if your place is in there.
I checked through all of our old house photos from 1980 and there isn't one for that address, seem to have every house around it but not that one.
The insurance maps from 1900 show a house in that spot (420 mark) and there was a open veranda around the front and south side of the house, much of the south veranda is now closed in and part of the house living area. Many of the houses back then had names back then such as "The Moorings", but no name on your house.
A Beach house that old would of had very wealthy owners back in 1890.

954BB.jpg

Apr 14, 2021
Very nice - even w/o pics. I can use this anyhow.

I can imagine 419 & 421 across the road.

The Heath Cottage and 424 are likely the house next door that just sold (Ruth).

thx Scott appreciate this

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Very nice - even w/o pics. I can use this anyhow.

I can imagine 419 & 421 across the road.

The Heath Cottage and 424 are likely the house next door that just sold (Ruth).

thx Scott appreciate this
I would say that 419 and 421 are long gone, the Wallace (Ruth) place would be considered a new build even though it was most likely built in the 1950's. Also that house covers two lots. The two across the street would originals like your place.
I went over the address numbers many years ago with our Beach historian Fred Briggs, I found out from him that the numbers changed at one point and 420 changed to 954, so the addresses restarted from the south end of the Beach to the canal. The Bridge is last address, being 1157.
There could be some info at main library on the original owners as once again, would of had some wealth to live here 1890's. The Sanford's would be a good example, they would of been close neighbors.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From Dorothy Turcotte's book, The Sand Strip (copyright 1987)
Lots were laid out in 1875, and were auctioned off, then subleased to the purchaser. Wealthy Hamiltonians were quick to recognize the opportunity. Before long, spacious Victorian summer homes began to appedr south of the Canal.
The first summer cottage is believed to have been built by a Mr. A. Turner, possibly Alexander Turner of James Turner and Company, one of the largest wholesale grocers in the country. Then Col. Villiers built a thatched house known as "The Bungalow". The building boom was on!
Other well-known Hamiltonian's who chose the Beach for their summer residences were Sir J. M. Gibson, a founder of the Dominion Power and Transmission Company and M.P.P. for Hamilton; the Hon. W. E. Sanford, senator and clothing manufacturer; John Moodie of Eagle Knitting Company; George Tuckett, a former mayor of Hamilton and president of Tuckett Tobacco Company; F. Mackelson, city solicitor; Frank S. Glassco, manager of the Imperial Bank; S.O. Greening of the B. Greening Wire Company; R. M. Wanzer of Wanzer Sewing Machine Company; and Mr. Braden who was president of Westinghouse.
In 1891, F. E. Kilvertbuilta two-storey Queen Anne style house which he called The Moorings. Kilvert was a lawyer by profession, and served as mayor of Hamilton in 1877-78. Later he was a Member of Parliament. The Moorings is still standing, and has been designated a Heritage property by the Hamilton Local Architectural Conservancy Advisory Committee (LACAC).
Another beautiful summer home was built in 1891 by Charles Murton who had a coal business. Fashionable in its day, the house is still spectacular for its comer tower. This twenty-room house featured a wide verandah, servants'quarters, a butler's pantry, and a bathhouse in the rear. The Murton family owned the house until 1945. Now owned by Bud Cahill, it's often referred to as Cahill's Castle.
Nearby is a house called the "Heart House" or the "Sweetheart House" because its verandah trim is shaped like the tops of huge hearts. This lovely home was built by the Dexter family in 1898. Now stuccoed with pink trim, it was originally white with dark green trim.
'The Fishers of Fisher Brass Foundry also had a large home. Mr. Fisher's lawn was famous for its profusion of ornaments. Also, Mr. Fisher was notable for his choice of pets. He had a cinnamon bear that he used to walk to the store on a leash so that he could buy it an ice cream cone. He also owned a monkey named Jocko who liked to have orange juice and a poached egg on toast for breakfast.
Another fine house called Roselawn was built by Wilfred H. Montague of the Sons of England Insurance Company.
This house is also still standing.
Perhaps the most breath-taking building south of the Canal was the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club. The R.H.Y.C. was organized in 1888. Almost immediately, plans were made to build a clubhouse. William Stewart, well known Hamilton architect, designed the building and supervised the construction. The contractor was William Peebles who lived on the Beach at Station 30.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Dug this out of another thread, the fairly new houses had a listing back in 1895 and I was hoping to get a name of the owner back then, unfortunately the house is listed as vacant. It is located between the J.H. Mills, Lynden Lodge and Mrs. W.R. Mills, Heath Cottage.

South of Canal - West Side
Two vacant houses
Mrs. Frank Mannoch
Hon. J.M. Gibson, TheGables
W.H. Glassco
John W. Bickle, Willowmere
Mrs. L.H. Brooks, Kinrara
H.S. Stephens, The Wigwam
G.S. Papps, The Court
Frank H. Mills, BeauRivage.
Vacant
R.M. Wanser, TheWillows
Edward McLaughlin
Dr. S. Cummings
J.H. Mills, Lynden Lodge
Vacant
Mrs. W.R. Mills, Heath Cottage
Vacant
J. Hughts
Jackson Sanford, Green Gables
S. Morrison, Killarney
Wallace Young
J.P. Steedman
Jas. Robertson
Two vacant houses
R. Thomas, Rose Cottage
Frank E. Walker, Bonnieview
J.A. Webber
W.L. Cummer
J. Holden

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021
I see Heath House as being next door in some "maps".
Not giving up.
Still looking for a history.
Dug up under the porch and can see the add ons over the years (not to mention the personal files of past residents).
Met another person who "remembers the house as a kid" but no detail
Reached out to the city as well as real estate brokers/agents but not detail yet
Thanks for the info so far

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Dug up under the porch and can see the add ons over the years (not to mention the personal files of past residents).
Any names in those files?

I recall the house in my younger years as I grew up not far from there and later on lived next door for a few years, but there wasn't much to remember. There was an apartment next door that demolished in the early 70's.

Apr 14, 2021
Hi Scott... I completely missed your reply... I found a Tracey (?). It being personal stuff I burned it.
Now that the covid restrictions are loosening up, I'm gonna see what the city and library may have.
Your statement "there wasn't much to remember" has been echoed by a few people I have been able to speak to.
Judging by the conditions I have uncovered in continuing the work of the previous ownership, it looks like this home was poorly cared for a very long time.

That being said I still think there's a story here that's a reflection of the Beach Strip as a whole

If anyone knows anybody with pictures I would love to see them; keeping it positive.... especially that apartment you mentioned. The city still thinks this property is Apt 1 & Apt 2

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Scott... I completely missed your reply... I found a Tracey (?). It being personal stuff I burned it.
Now that the covid restrictions are loosening up, I'm gonna see what the city and library may have.
Your statement "there wasn't much to remember" has been echoed by a few people I have been able to speak to.
Judging by the conditions I have uncovered in continuing the work of the previous ownership, it looks like this home was poorly cared for a very long time.

That being said I still think there's a story here that's a reflection of the Beach Strip as a whole

If anyone knows anybody with pictures I would love to see them; keeping it positive.... especially that apartment you mentioned. The city still thinks this property is Apt 1 & Apt 2
It was rental for decades as I knew many of the tenants, don't recall a Tracey though. Most rentals I see down here don't seem to get needed upgrades, so only fix what is absolutely needed and all else gets put off.
Please lets us know if you find any history, good luck.

Apr 14, 2021
Some details I have uncovered...

> owner of property in 1875 before a home was built... John Brown of the lighthouse and Highfield House

I cant yet find out if/how ownership changed. John moved to NY State in the 1890s. A few of his children were married in Manhattan in that decade. John died of pneumonia in Quebec and is buried in Hamilton

However, John's daughter remained in Canada, eventually finding her way to a sanitarium in Barrie

Later Owners and residents
> Frank Spurgeon 1940s - immigrated from the UK (photo attached)
> William Smart 1960s
> Stewart Dainard late 1960's - mechanic at Tiny's Garage
> Carlo Calligaro (I think renting) of the Rescue Unit
> Edward & Diane Bryk (1961)
> Phyilip & Janet Kowk (1962)
> Anne Religa (1986)

Still working on this. Will provide links to evidence in a few weeks.

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Some details I have uncovered...

> owner of property in 1875 before a home was built... John Brown of the lighthouse and Highfield House

I cant yet find out if/how ownership changed. John moved to NY State in the 1890s. A few of his children were married in Manhattan in that decade. John died of pneumonia in Quebec and is buried in Hamilton

However, John's daughter remained in Canada, eventually finding her way to a sanitarium in Barrie

Later Owners and residents
> Frank Spurgeon 1940s - immigrated from the UK (photo attached)
> William Smart 1960s
> Stewart Dainard late 1960's - mechanic at Tiny's Garage
> Carlo Calligaro (I think renting) of the Rescue Unit
> Edward & Diane Bryk (1961)
> Phyilip & Janet Kowk (1962)
> Anne Religa (1986)

Still working on this. Will provide links to evidence in a few weeks.
Good find, didn't know that John Brown owed any property on the Beach as worked at many different locations far from here building more lighthouses.
I will ask Carlo about living there, he has never told me about that.
Thx

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Carlo and Phyllis lived at 954 in 1964. Carlo worked at/for Tucketts...(?)
I see Carlo all the time, I will check with him.
I have gone through my old maps and a couple have some info. A large blue map dated 1925 has John Brown Sr. owning eight lots across from Third Ave. This map (not a good copy) was completed by J.W. Tyrrell & Co. of Hamilton, However there is a disclaimer stating "Names of owners shown on the plan are not necessarily the present owners as this plan is completed from existing records in this office", so possibly not a good source for up to date info. It does back up your claim that John Brown was there at some point.
Another map dated 1877 done by Staunton and Franks of Hamilton shows the owners of many of the properties, there are no side streets listed on the lake side so trying to get an exact location is a challenge. Your property's general area looks like it belonged to a Mrs. N. Galbraith, south of a John Hughes, D. Wells and Chas. Armstrong. And towards the canal there is a Jas. Mills, Jas. Jeltory (sp?) and Z. Pattison.

Attachments

Apr 14, 2021

Attachments

Apr 14, 2021
The attached file list ownership so far.

If there are privacy concerns pls do not hesitate to advise and I will delete it. If you belive there are errors don't hesitate to let me know.

I am currently in contact with a descendants of an owner in the 1950's (and perhaps 1940s)

I am looking into the opinion (my own) that the Gough Family owned the house during the 1940s as a summer residence.

The Gough's were a prominent Family of Engineers in Hamilton. William Verdun Gough died in 1947 at only 37 yrs of age. The file lists 954 as the home address. However, his wife Betty and he lived at 526 John St with his brother and President of Gough Engineering James Gough. Odd....

It appears the his father in law Frank Spurgeon bought the home in 1947 and lived here through the 1950s, before passing in 1960 and selling to William Smart.

Attachments

Apr 14, 2021
The house in 1948. Frank Sturgeon raised the home and built a basement due to water levels.

You can see 958 & 946 bu those are both now gone. The two large front windows on either side of the front door remain today.
954_b.jpg
954a.jpg

Apr 14, 2021
Great pictures, where did you find them?
Frank Sturgeon's grandson. I am on Ancestry and researched the Sturgeon Family.

Frank's daughter Louise married Verdi Gough. Verdi died young (37ish) and Louise moved back to Beach with her children.

Louise's son Verdi (Jr) sent me the photos....

Top Bottom