Baranga's?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
In 63 there was a science Room in the basement. I dont remember anything else down there. There were two classrooms in the gym. I dont know how long they remained. Maybe they were moved to the basement.
So there wasn't a gym? I will have to go back on my (1964) Grades 3 & 4 in the basement comment as I would of only seen the basement of the Hall. It was a long time ago. I always remembered the gym as open and usable, but I was only at that school for a few years.

RHammond

Oct 11, 2004
In the late 60's the gym was used as a gym. In '69 I spent my grade 2 year with Mrs. Cunningham in one of the rooms in the basement of the school. I believe the other room was used for storage. There were also portables on the front lawn at this time, waiting for the primary wing construction to be completed.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
In the late 60's the gym was used as a gym. In '69 I spent my grade 2 year with Mrs. Cunningham in one of the rooms in the basement of the school. I believe the other room was used for storage. There were also portables on the front lawn at this time, waiting for the primary wing construction to be completed.
There were portables? My memory is getting very short. Yes I remember Mrs. Cunningham (Grade 2) in the basement room on the lakeside, across from there was a Grade 3/4 split class, I was in both classes. In the back of that room there was storage. That would be around '66-'67, so things could of changed by '69.

Mormac

May 1, 2006
Sorry I didn't get back to you, I have been away. The two classes were at the back of the gym. They took up about half of it. When you came in the front door there was a long hall leading to the gym, the classrooms were on each side of the hall. They were there as long as I was. The science room in the basement was in the front under or near the main entrance. That didn't last too long cause the animals stunk! We also had animals in our grade 7 class ( Mr. McMenamy) but you just cant keep a beaver in a wood cage!!!!!!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks Mormac, couldn't of been much of a gym left as that one isn't that big to start with. Anyway that must of not lasted too long as I always remember an open gym.

Mormac

May 1, 2006
Yes, I guess it was small but it accomadated all the classes seated (no chairs). I guess the school itself wasn't all that big then.

Dick Mattinson

Jul 20, 2009
Black Bridge

I am not sure if the question on the Black Bridge ever got answered but as I remember it yes it was a wooden structure and it burnt beyond repair around the late 50's early 60's. I believe it was in the area of the water pumping station along Lakeland Beach (I believe that is what he area where Hutch's now is was called) near the present day Hutch's. At the time to get on Hamilton Beach you could do it in the east from the traffic circle across Van Wagners or across the Black Bridge (not sure that, that was the official name) or from Burlington across the canal. If I am wrong on this I would be happy to be corrected for my own knowledge.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I am not sure if the question on the Black Bridge ever got answered but as I remember it yes it was a wooden structure and it burnt beyond repair around the late 50's early 60's. I believe it was in the area of the water pumping station along Lakeland Beach (I believe that is what he area where Hutch's now is was called) near the present day Hutch's. At the time to get on Hamilton Beach you could do it in the east from the traffic circle across Van Wagners or across the Black Bridge (not sure that, that was the official name) or from Burlington across the canal. If I am wrong on this I would be happy to be corrected for my own knowledge.
It didn't look like wood fom the picture, but it was a black & white and difficult to tell. Now I know...

Top Bottom