Beach street/garage sale 2008

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I remember - we actually purchased our Andrin home the day of last years sale -
And they should be building anytime, if it ever stops raining!

Speaking of remembering, I have attached a few Spec photos of the garage sale from about 1990.
Many thanks to the Spec!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Beach Boulevard benefit bustles with bargains

Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Elisabeth Johns
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jul 14, 2008)
Beach Boulevard resident Bill Steel wasn't selling anything this year at the annual garage sale, but he still knows the deal.

Perched on his front stoop yesterday, Steel, who has lived on Beach Boulevard for 55 years, watched his neighbours peddle their wares.

Although the event only ran from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m, the real yard sale connoisseurs would consider 6 a.m. to be a late arrival, he said. Some people didn't even have their knick-knacks out of the boxes before others were rifling through them.

The "squatters" - what residents call the vendors who set up on vacant lots and don't live in the neighbourhood - sell everything they can and whatever they don't sell is left along the curb.

By this morning, anything leftover by squatters will have been picked clean, Steel said.

Hundreds of Hamiltonians walked a stretch of more than four kilometres to check out the beach community's 23rd annual sale.

Antique lamps, steamer trunks, an early version Mickey Mouse phone, a hummingbird feeder, a lighthouse shaped clock, thermometer, music box and even cars were on sale along the strip.

But this massive garage sale wasn't just about hawking trinkets and treasures.

It's a key fundraiser for Jimmy Lomax's Operation Santa Claus, now starting its 50th season. This organization collects toys and raises money so newborns and seniors alike can have a Christmas to remember. Lomax raised $6,980 from proceeds at the garage sale this year.

And the Beach Light House Group, stationed at Lighthouse Lane, set up a network of tables to sell goods and raise money for restoration of the Burlington Ship Canal Lighthouse and the lighthouse keeper's cottage.

There's a lot of work that needs to be done on both locations, and so the garage sale is just a start to their fundraising. This year they raised $1,200 at the mammoth garage sale said David Auger, executive director of the Beach Canal group.

He estimates the restoration will cost about $900,000. They still have to get an OK from the city, which must take ownership of the structures from the federal government's Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

They hope the plan will be approved at a council meeting in October. On Oct. 18, the lighthouse will be 150 years old.

They also plan on bringing the lighthouse up to working condition by installing a new lens and light.

At the garage sale, the committee was selling calendars by Gary Evans, which had images of the lighthouse and the beach community. The proceeds of the calendar sales are going to support the refurbishing of the two structures. You can still purchase one by calling Auger at 905-681-6233.

ejohns@thespec.com

905-526-3214

Photo-Kaz Novak, the Hamilton Spectator

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Early in the morning the 2008 Beach Garage Sale started with a light rain, then clear skies came through and it just got nicer as the day went by.
And because of the weather it was much more crowded than last year.

Jimmy Lomax and Operation Santa Clause did very well, Channel 11 news reported that Santa and his helpers collected about $5,000 in donations.
Jimmy would like to add an extra thank you to all who helped and donated, the band that was playing near by(pic attached) donated their collected money from the day to Jimmy($200). And the ice cream truck added another $50.:rock:

Again this year, Bitumar set out garbage bins all along the strip to assist in the clean up and the City was present early this morning picking up the left over mess.
Also, our canned food drive was a mild success. Some late donations gave us a full shopping cart, hopefully we can do better than that next year.
Thanks to Ed Nowlan and Debbie Devo for their assistance in the food drive.

suesue

Jul 6, 2008
I went...got there about 9;am, there were ALOT of people..i dont remember it being so busy!
we had no trouble finding a parking spot..
Hubby got some collectible cars & a toy..I didnt buy a thing! I cant beleive it...but it was fun to look.
afterward we got a hotdog at beachway park...water was COLD....lots of geese in the lake too.~~
;-)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I went...got there about 9;am, there were ALOT of people..i dont remember it being so busy!
we had no trouble finding a parking spot..
Hubby got some collectible cars & a toy..I didnt buy a thing! I cant beleive it...but it was fun to look.
afterward we got a hotdog at beachway park...water was COLD....lots of geese in the lake too.~~
;-)
Yes, there was more people and there seemed to be more vendors.

Parking... I saw that the vendor selling the manigans came to our sale and took a nice spot beside the Rescue Unit. Then later in the day he put out cones on the road so that no one could park in front of his sale, nice guy.

On the plus side, I still met up with a lot of the beach crowd that I normally don't run into much anymore.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Letter from the Food Bank

July 16, 2008

I am writing to thank you for your donation of food to the Good Shepherd Food Bank. The ten bags of food you so generously collected, added to that which continues to come in since our emergency appeal went out, might enable us to keep the food bank doors open throughout the summer.
The food bank opened in 1986 and has operated continuously 5 days a week since then. In those days, we probably saw an average of 20-24 individuals each day. Today, we provide emergency food supplies for upward of 154 individuals per day (each year, this number grows by 5 to 7 percent). Fully one-third of those who benefit from the food bank are children. Generally speaking, users can only access the food bank once per month, so they only come when their cupboards are truly bare.
As manufacturing jobs disappear from our area, the need for food grows while resources shrink, making it a real challenge for us to keep the shelves stocked. I was speaking to the food bank coordinator who told me that each month this year, she has seen an average of 150 new food bank users - people who have never accessed a food bank before in their lives! Many of these are laid off workers whose employment benefits have run out, or people whose minimum wages simply cannot be stretched out over a month.
It's scary to contemplate how we will continue to cope with the new realities of increased food and fuel prices and a shrinking number of jobs that pay a living wage. If those of us who are earning a decent living are struggling, imagine what it's like for those who aren't.
It's the kindness of people like you who give us hope for a better tomorrow. Thank you for helping us help others.
Your Brother in the Good Shepherd,
Brother Richard MacPhee B.G.S. Executive Director

rbaker.1

Dec 4, 2006
Beach Yard Sale

Are we missing the boat.
Can we not get a by-law to limit the squaters
Perhaps city council could issue a one day law necessitating a licence for that day. $20.00 for the day would help.

Though I do not live on the beach any more I see the interlopers that pay nothing and just hog the spaces without paying for space and clean up.

I unfortunately missed the sale because I had a minor operation that turned out to not be minor Doctor said I was a lucky guy and should be dead.
I must look ...I may be. or should be.

I am listen to your coments and a run down of how it went. PLEASE.
I guess you might call me a son of the beach.

Regards to all.

Rae Baker
<rbaker.1@netzero.com>

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Rae;
You missed one busy day, you would of sold all of your capacitors and made a fortune.
Hope you are feeling better.
Already had a thread going on this, so I will move this post to that one.

Are we missing the boat.
Can we not get a by-law to limit the squaters
Perhaps city council could issue a one day law necessitating a licence for that day. $20.00 for the day would help.

Though I do not live on the beach any more I see the interlopers that pay nothing and just hog the spaces without paying for space and clean up.

Rae Baker]
Rae;
All sorts of ideas have been floated at the Beach meeting concerning the yearly sale and when it comes to enforcement we feel the only ones that will get the majority of the tickets will be beach people, so we don't push for it.
We also debated charging for spots but that takes volunteers to go around and make sure everyone has paid and is in the correct place, hard to police because there are only a few city owned spots that can be "rented" out. Most just set-up in front of empty lots anyway.
Although you can see that as more homes get built, there will be less room for the squatters, then I believe something will have to done.
Last year there were a couple of complaints of squatters setting up in front of beach homes with even asking and when told to move on, they refused.
Who owns the section of the boulevard in front of houses on the Beach??

Top Bottom