I hit a deer. :(

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Former Beach Bum, now in Stoney Creek
This afternoon I was leaving my Aunts house. (Scott, you know her. Sue)
Anyway, I had the baby with me. We were driving down Greenhill. Just about at the stop sign on Quigly. A deer cam running from behind, off at the left. I saw something brown up at the front left of the car. I hit the breaks and it ran into the front quarter pannel. It slid across my hood and landed next to the car. It took a minute but it got up and ran away. Limping on it's back leg.
I sat there shaking. I'm so upset. I don't care about the damage to my car. I feel bad for that poor deer.
We just had the car painted in July. Looks like it's going back in for body work and new paint.

I bet it's due to the Redhill Expressway going in. Why else would a deer be on Greenhill and Quigly?
I sure hope that deer is ok and not in to much pain. :(

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I guess that would be hard on the old nerves. :eek: Could have something to do with the new Expressway, but there is just a lot of deer out there these days and it's not just here. Member 10speed made a big mess of his car from a deer collision a short time ago and he is from just south of the border, also check this story from yesterdays AP wire, they are getting to be a real nuisance.
(Next time have your camera ready :laugh: )
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051118/ap_on_re_us/urban_deer

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
I had the camera in the diaper bag. But I was freaking out so bad. it all happened so fast.
One second i'm driving, the next, I see something brown through the corner of my eye and it ran into the front quarter panel of the car.
I have pics of the damage. We have to get the dents pushed back out and the quarter panel repainted. The hood needs to be buffed out. Maybe painted. We will have to see.
It could have been worse. If I was any sooner I would have hit it head on, if I didn't hit the brakes it could have gone through my drivers window.
My back is a bit sore today because I tensed up when I hit the brakes.
Baby seems to be ok. He was sleeping and didn't know anything happened.
My Mom drove past me and didn't even see me.
Nobody stopped to see if I was ok or anything. SOMEONE had to have seen it happen. There was a bunch of cars at the stop sign.
So there I sat at the side of the road crying my eye's out for this poor deer. I was scared to drive incase another one came out. I called Marko and told him what happened and that I was on my way home. (After sitting there for a good 10 minutes or more)
He was waiting outside to see the car. Thank goodness it's just the one corner. (This car is his baby. He loves it more then me. LOL)
I'll be at my parents tomorrow afternoon if you want some deer fur. It's still on the hood. (Unless Marko got it off today. I wasn't touching it.)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
lil squirt said:
I had the camera in the diaper bag. But I was freaking out so bad. it all happened so fast.
One second i'm driving, the next, I see something brown through the corner of my eye and it ran into the front quarter panel of the car.
I have pics of the damage. We have to get the dents pushed back out and the quarter panel repainted. The hood needs to be buffed out. Maybe painted. We will have to see.
It could have been worse. If I was any sooner I would have hit it head on, if I didn't hit the brakes it could have gone through my drivers window.
My back is a bit sore today because I tensed up when I hit the brakes.
Baby seems to be ok. He was sleeping and didn't know anything happened.
My Mom drove past me and didn't even see me.
Nobody stopped to see if I was ok or anything. SOMEONE had to have seen it happen. There was a bunch of cars at the stop sign.
So there I sat at the side of the road crying my eye's out for this poor deer. I was scared to drive incase another one came out. I called Marko and told him what happened and that I was on my way home. (After sitting there for a good 10 minutes or more)
He was waiting outside to see the car. Thank goodness it's just the one corner. (This car is his baby. He loves it more then me. LOL)
I'll be at my parents tomorrow afternoon if you want some deer fur. It's still on the hood. (Unless Marko got it off today. I wasn't touching it.)
Most people I know would of chased it down for dinner, not feel sorry for it. :laugh: Lucky you were driving Marko's tank and not a small car or there could of been more damage, is that duct tape on the fender??
(I'll bet Chuck is laughing at this one)

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
not tape on the fender. That's where the paint came off. It's down to the bare metal.
Dad was here in about 15 minutes after I called to tell them what happened.

Thank god for big cars. Your right. If it was a small car, or even a newer car there would have been ALOT more damage.
Christine may be old and may be a boat, but she keeps us safe. Especially with Joshua now. No small car's for us. We are looking into getting a Trail Blazer one day. (Not anytime soon though)
Yes, the car's name is Christine after the Stephen King Movie. LOL She has a mind of her own.

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
With Riley and the car seat in tha back, we can't take anyone anywere with us anymore. LOL
Even with just the car seat, the back can only hold one other person. We used to be able to take 6 people in the car. Not anymore. LOL

Oh well. Imagine we have a small car? We could take either the baby, or the dog but not both.

BTW, that's for the package. There will be one more coming. I appreciate it. You saved me $14.99

shamsson

Jul 30, 2004
Near Atlanta, Georgia
I read that link about deer from Scotto. There are so many deer around St. paul Minn. So city council is trying to curb their creation by putting them on contraception and stuff. I think the problem is there are too many humans. Deer were here first so we have to respect their rights. We're invading their territory especially through suburban sprawl. I'm glad to know that Lil squirt and junior are alright.

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Marko took the car in this morning. $700.00 and the car should look like new again.
It doesn't look like that much damage. But he told me that the quarter panel on the car is rounded, and for it to get knocked in like that, that deer was going pretty fast and hit really hard.
I still can't believe it. And yes, I still feel sorry for the deer. Where ever she is.

Jul 25, 2005
scotto said:
Most people I know would of chased it down for dinner, not feel sorry for it. :laugh:
And cut its throat with my pocket knife!! Furry little @#&$%'s. $3700 damage to the wife's car. Next Monday is the opening of deer season in OH, I can't wait!! Glad you and the little one are OK, Lil.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
10speed said:
And cut its throat with my pocket knife!! Furry little @#&$%'s. $3700 damage to the wife's car. Next Monday is the opening of deer season in OH, I can't wait!! Glad you and the little one are OK, Lil.
See what I mean. :laugh:

Brett

Jan 13, 2005
poor deer

lil squirt said:
$3700 Holy crap. I thought $700.00 was bad.
i hope you learned something from all this if you were really concerned about the deer did you call the police because if it was badley injured they would have come by and shot it or maybe youll start carrying a large knife and follow it there very good eating you cut its throat and stuff it in your trunk and take it to the butcher for about $100.00 you would have had food for the winter or next time post it on here asap and we will send out a search party of hunters from the beach and we'll find it and take care of it but letting the poor thing suffer and not putting it out of its misery is wrong killing it would be more humaine than letting it suffer you were more worried about your car than the deer thats what insurance is for!

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Brett said:
i hope you learned something from all this if you were really concerned about the deer did you call the police because if it was badley injured they would have come by and shot it or maybe youll start carrying a large knife and follow it there very good eating you cut its throat and stuff it in your trunk and take it to the butcher for about $100.00 you would have had food for the winter or next time post it on here asap and we will send out a search party of hunters from the beach and we'll find it and take care of it but letting the poor thing suffer and not putting it out of its misery is wrong killing it would be more humaine than letting it suffer you were more worried about your car than the deer thats what insurance is for!

I didn't care about the car. I didn't even get out to look at it until I got home. I sat at the side of the road for well over 10 minutes before I left. I would NEVER leave an animal to suffer. I was going to call the police. But the deer ran off into the bush. What was I supposed to do? It had a hurt leg.
My parents and my Husband were here with me after. I sat and cried my heart out for this deer. Worried that it was hurt and suffereing. it's been almost a week and I STILL think of it every single day. I don't even like driving now. Scared that another one willbolt from somewere.

Top Bottom