Jessie Bell Dixon (1878-1938)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Hamilton Public Library's Special Collections section. :tbu:

Jessie Bell Dixon (1878-1938) was a very talented local amateur photographer residing at 771 Beach Boulevard on the Beach Strip. She was a native Hamiltonian, daughter of William and Hannah Dixon and had two brothers, William A. and Archibald H. Dixon, all represented in her photography. During her lifetime, as well as pursuing her photographic interests, she was prominently identified with the Women's Liberal Association and was an officer of the ladies' section of the Glendale Golf Club. She was also associated with the Burlington Golf and Country Club, the Artists' Club and the Horticultural Society. She died suddenly in her 60th year at the Hamilton General Hospital and was buried at the Hamilton Cemetery.
Photo #1
This image is of the inlet at Station 9 on the beach and was taken in 1908.

Attachments

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Scott
Do you have this image. It's another one of those that shows up, for me, as a box with a red x that says click for larger version and it doesn't come up. My guess is that the inlet at station 9 would more likely be the start of the arm that went out into the bay.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The picture was removed by our friend Jake:cool:, I have replaced it. Station 9 would of been close to the store, the old street name was South Park.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Scott
Would this have been part of the spear of land in the Bay??? Is there a picture showing that land that Martin's Wharf had to go over? I'm looking for a picture from the area in the farthest north where that land joined the mainland.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scott
Would this have been part of the spear of land in the Bay??? Is there a picture showing that land that Martin's Wharf had to go over? I'm looking for a picture from the area in the farthest north where that land joined the mainland.
I would have to go over some old aerials to see, but very well could of been the beginning of land heading to Crooks Island.
I do recall seeing it on a map, Fred does explain the property in this thread;
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/threads/martins-pleasure-gardens.1324/

Fred's Site has a photo which shows the Island in the distance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I would have to go over some old aerials to see, but very well could of been the beginning of land heading to Crooks Island.
I do recall seeing it on a map, Fred does explain the property in this thread;
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324

Fred's Site shows a photo which shows the Island in the distance.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~fredbriggs/
The reason I'm interested is because it's probably very close to Morris Corey's original land. I'm inserting one of the pictures you sent me that went together to make that huge long map of the Beach and properties on it. The Corey house on the Beach with Sunnyrest or something like that (I'd have to go find the picture because I mess the name up everytime) was part of Frederick Corey's property and he inherited it from his father Morris. I put some lines over the lines on the map to highlight the property and on the Bay side there was a bridge out to the pennisula on the Corey property as well as Martins..

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
From the Hamilton Public Library's Special Collections section. :tbu:

Jessie Bell Dixon (1878-1938) was a very talented local amateur photographer residing at 771 Beach Boulevard on the Beach Strip. She was a native Hamiltonian, daughter of William and Hannah Dixon and had two brothers, William A. and Archibald H. Dixon, all represented in her photography. During her lifetime, as well as pursuing her photographic interests, she was prominently identified with the Women's Liberal Association and was an officer of the ladies' section of the Glendale Golf Club. She was also associated with the Burlington Golf and Country Club, the Artists' Club and the Horticultural Society. She died suddenly in her 60th year at the Hamilton General Hospital and was buried at the Hamilton Cemetery.
Photo #1
This image is of the inlet at Station 9 on the beach and was taken in 1908.
Here is a face book page on Jessie Bell Dixon.

https://www.facebook.com/JessieBDixon

Top Bottom