More Beach Wildlife

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
These ducks have been migrating from the arctic to the Beach for the last few years, I'm told that they only come here (ship canal) and an area near Toronto. So this would be the equivalent of us heading to Florida for a warm winter and it's been pretty cold lately. There a thousands of these ducks and there are many different types, it's worth a look.
I had some pics of these too I took in March 2007. I wasn't sure what type of duck they were so I emailed the pic to someone of the Ont, Birders Assoc. He said it's a long tailed duck. And yes, it's interesting to see how many types of sea birds come into this area during the winters.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I had some pics of these too I took in March 2007. I wasn't sure what type of duck they were so I emailed the pic to someone of the Ont, Birders Assoc. He said it's a long tailed duck. And yes, it's interesting to see how many types of sea birds come into this area during the winters.
There seems to be quite a few less in the last couple of years, I don't know if they are going elsewhere or that their numbers are lower.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Perhaps it's from getting milder temps here now?

I can't believe I only had to wear my fall jacket out today.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Here is a pic of a long tailed duck I took in March 2007 at the canal.

I was down there today, those ducks don't let you get too close at all unless you sit there for hours until they get use to you. If anyone walks by, they pretty well move to othe side of the canal.
But there are lots of those Longtails and Buffleheads, just not easy to get a real good picture. The swans will come right over if they think you have food.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I'm trying to figure out what type of insect that is but I'm still searching when I remember. The tree swallow was easy to figure out.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks;
My neighbour notice a lot of bird droppings in one spot and seen the owl sitting up near the top of his maple tree, he was nice enough to call me over for a picture. Had to wait until it got somewhat dark though as it was sleeping all day.

IMG_5708.JPG

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Thanks;
My neighbour notice a lot of bird droppings in one spot and seen the owl sitting up near the top of his maple tree, he was nice enough to call me over for a picture. Had to wait until it got somewhat dark though as it was sleeping all day.

Not sure if this is the same one, but I had a owl on the roof a few months back, just as the ground was thawing, I had to look a few times, it was a horned owl,

As for the ground hog, I have seen them across the street in the soccer field.

Not to often you can get to little brown critters in the same shot. lol

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Not sure if this is the same one, but I had a owl on the roof a few months back, just as the ground was thawing, I had to look a few times, it was a horned owl,

As for the ground hog, I have seen them across the street in the soccer field.

Not to often you can get to little brown critters in the same shot. lol
As Crawfish wrote, it was pretty small, a Great Horned would be much bigger. And it is a saw whet owl, supposed to be very common around here but it is the first time I have ever seen one.
Seem to be getting all kinds wildlife around here.

Top Bottom