Old Fort on the Beach

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I made it to the library for a short visit and found a few of the Campbell articles. I will transcribe (some very hard to read) and put them up on my Saltfleet site and let you know where you can find them. I spoke to the librarian and she said she felt anything that old would be considered public domain so I had the go ahead to transcribe what I can. It's not for profit and it's a historical information site free to all users. She was very comfortable with how I intended to use them. If anyone would like to see if I have anything of interest at the moment on the site it can be viewed at
http://members.fortunecity.com/saltfleetrecords

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Thanks Scotto for linking my site. I wish I had more time but when I find something I put it up there to try to keep it all together. Will try to get to transposing some of it tonight. As you may guess it's not very clear and some holes in pages and so on so some words just aren't there. I plan on getting back and checking farther.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have a one more map and a drawing to add to the Fort subject, the first one was sent in by Colwyn some time ago, but I just found the original. From page 87 in Hamilton-Panarama of Our Past, shown is a map of Burlington Bay with various dates. You can see near the present day Canal (dated 1832) a "Three Gun Battery" Thanks again to Colwyn.
Also attached is a hand drawn map of the "Old Outlet", which is from page 53 in Dorothy Turcotte's book, Burlington-Memories of Pioneer Days. As you can see and has been reported in other posts, there is a Blockhouse and a oven for heating cannonballs. No date is given.

Attachments

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
:canada: Good ones Scotto. This may do something to narrow the timeframe. After saying that you have to remember the note on Bay picture is PRIMARILY from A. Jones 1791-1808. That means something might have been added that wasn't in Jones' notes. If Lady Simcoe didn't report the existance of a blockhouse and fortification in 1796 it could have been built between 1796 and 1808. I still don't understand why the King's Head (a private owned establishment) would be used for military accomodations if a blockhouse for men was that close. Still makes me think it wasn't constructed until after 1813 when something else was required with the loss of the King's Head. I am typing at this time. Unfortunately Campbell hasn't mentioned the blockhouse in the articles I have so far.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Fred did mention the Rebellions of 1837, but I would think that there would be no need of lake fortifications for that???
The Kings Head Inn was a watering hole, the blockhouse wasn't. Where would they stay if given an option?

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Fred did mention the Rebellions of 1837, but I would think that there would be no need of lake fortifications for that???
The Kings Head Inn was a watering hole, the blockhouse wasn't. Where would they stay if given an option?

Only problem with that is it is on the Bay map you posted with a timeframe of 1791 (?) to 1808. Therefore 1837 has the same problem as my thoughts on post 1813. The Militia is reported as staying at the King's Head and I can't really see the gov't paying for volunteers to toss back a few at an Inn. I could see officers staying there but not volunteers. That is why I'm thinking it wasn't there in the War of 1812. I don't think the Rebellion of 1837 was a big enough threat to have had time to build any fortifications. Name someone to dig up and I'll bring the shovel. Someone knows the answer to this but I'm not sure who to go looking for.

Have just spent hours on the net in my historic resources and have come up with pages of vague references to the outlet and buildings. Scotto do you want me to forward the pages to you?? I know what it was. Not really a fort. Strangely enough the most information in one place is a book written by a native woman from the Six Nations in the late 1800s. In that book is a sketch and darned if it doesn't look like a rougher drawing of the lighthouse looking thing you just put up. Only guess the best! She makes no mention of what the drawing is supposed to be. It doesn't appear our "fort" ever had a name. You can email directly if you want the pages. Some other interesting facts on the canal. Gov't papers.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Drogo;
I have to agree with you and I have mention this before, there is far too little information available except for some drawings to make firm findings. There was something there on the Beach at one time and we may never know for sure of the existence of a grand fort, but something still may come along.
Anyway I would like to see what you did dig up, please sent it when you have some time.
Thanks, Scotto

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
hamiltonbeachcommunity.com
Old Fort(s)

The probability that there were two (2) different fortifications north of the present canal, at different times. Neither was a "fort" of much magnitude. We're not talking about Fort Niagara or Fort Henry here!
We know that there was a "redoubt" at the old outlet during the time of the War of 1812, as it has been mentioned in military dispatches and reports. More info later, as it develops.
We also know that some old maps show an "Old Fort" just north of the present canal, quite a bit south of the old outlet. I have not yet been able to find any written reference to this "old fort", but in the last few days I have spent 3 full days at Lloyd Reed Map Library at McMaster University, scanning many old maps. I even found one from 1799 that I have been looking for for several years!
Neither of these military fortifications have anything to do with the troops garrisoned at the King's Head Inn during the War of 1812. The King's Head Inn was also known, probably officially, as Government House. It was built on the orders of Lt. Gov. Simcoe with three purposes, 1) as a Government Store House, 2) a stopping place for travellers on the route between York and Newark (Toronto and Niagara-on-the-Lake), and 3) the point of the annual distribution of gifts for the Indians at a carrying place across the beach for the natives on route by water to the Grand River country. Originally it was administered by the military, but the "Inn" function was leased to Wiliam Bates in 1798.
The number of "troops" at King's Head Inn during April and May, 1813, was nominally 67 militiamen, composed of 20 privates of the 2nd Regiment of York, 20 of the 4th Lincoln, and 20 of the 5th Lincoln, all under Major Simons, Captain Wm. Crooks, one lieutenant, one ensign, and three sergents (one from each unit mentioned above), who were assigned to join a detachment of troops of the line (British Regulars) of the 49th Regiment, all to be under the command of Major Fitzgerald of the 49th. The numbers of the latter regulars isn't known (to me, anyway).
The militiamen weren't in for "the duration" as in more recent times, and their service was short term. After all, who was running the farms? Militiamen were given leave to go home and tend their livestock, plant their fields, and look after their families, or even because they were sick!
On the day of the American attack Major Fitzgerald had only 14 Regulars and 25 Militia in camp. Samuel Hatt had another 30 Militia in the forest, nearer Hamilton.
I hope this dispels any idea of the troops living in luxury in the King's Head Inn, tossing back their grog and sleeping in feather beds! (They all lived in tents and slept on the ground!) Neither was there any chance (or purpose) of accomodating them at the north end of the beach strip at the old outlet. There would be another small group there at the redoubt guarding the entrance into what later became known as Burlington Bay, and the approach by water to the British stronghold, the fortifications on Burlington Heights, now the site of the old Hamilton cemetary.
History often happens more quickly than its unravelling, so I ask that you be patient while facts are discovered and correlated. Someday I hope to be able to provide information about that "Old Fort" just north of the present canal. At this time it remeains a mystery.

Fred

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Good post Fred, the only other bit of info that I could find came from the counsutant's report for the Fisherman's Pier project of which I have been attending meetings for over the last few years.
There is a good write up on the Kings Head Inn and this was part of of the report.

The strategic importance of the head of the lake attracted the attention of American forces during the War of 1812. In the summer of 1813 two American schooner landed a contingent of 200 troops. After a brief
skirmish with a small British garrison stationed at the Kings Head Inn, they razed the buildings there, as well as destroying a redoubt at the outlet on the north end of the beach strip.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I know I said before I was transcribing the Thompson articles and had found some references to the fort but I haven't been able to get back to that work. I was interested in the references just made to the King's Head and the American attack and burning. I was sent a message some time ago with the statement "of course you know of the incident involving John Combs". In your research on the American attack have you seen anything on this? John Combs was with the Lincoln 5th under Hatt so it is likely something has been mentioned somewhere.
In my papers here I have the Thompson articles most of which have been used by Dorothy Turcotte in her Beachstrip book. I also found a drawing of some kind of monument on the Burlington side of the old canal. Mention of a walking bridge over it and the fort. Again not named. The timeframe of this bridge made me wonder just how it was that the British floated their ships into the bay when chased from York. I also have a few pages from the writings of an Indian woman who again mentions the fort. I have to finish a website for my son's business then I will have finished my LONG list of things that had to be done and I will go back to putting those things on my Saltfleet website.
I hope you copied the maps and maybe you will put them up for viewing.

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
I hate these names that so many people hide behind! I think I tried several times to get through to you some time ago, without success. I very much would like to get together with you to compare our sources and try to reach together between us a higher level of understanding of much of our history.
First, who is Thompson -- George Thomson the lighthouse keeper?
I don't know anything about Combs, but I suspect the original question to you may have come from someone I know but whose "handle" I can't recall at this moment. I believe she has found his name on a list of the 5th Militia, but if she doesn't give her real name, I don't think I should expose her!
I'd like to compare notes with you on everything you said after "Dorothy Turcotte" because most of it is too indefinite without seeing your information, drawings, etc., EXCEPT to point out that THE BRITISH NEVER FLOATED THEIR SHIPS INTO THE BAY WHEN CHASED FROM YORK!
I missed the posting of your website and I'd like to see it. Could you please post it here?
My web site is http://beachvideo.info

Fred

Last edited:

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
Scott:
I emailed you with this reply because I didn't want to post it, but you asked that I post it, so here it is!

"I don't want to post this publicly but your posting is in conflict with my research. The truth, and the true details, are not simple enough to be discussed in front of people who know very little about the true facts and just want an easy answer, so I don't want to post this and look like I'm nitpicking or attacking you, the consultant, or anyone else.
I have absolutely no evidence that there was any skirmish, nor that there was a single shot fired. To the best of my knowledge the British and Canadian Militia retreated quickly when they saw the large number of troops on board those 2 schooners.
I have been unable to find any indication that the Americans went to the old outlet on that mission. Their orders were to try to capture a sloop at 40 Mile Creek (Grimsby) and then capture supplies at the Head-of-the-Lake and destroy the governent buildings. I haven't been able to find any evidence that they found the sloop at 40 Mile Creek. However, I also don't have any report by the Americans involved -- just a newpaper account after the fact in the Buffalo newspaper.
Another group of Americans did visit the old outlet area on another, later, occasion, looking for a way to attack Burlington Heights. They didn't report destroying the redoubt. Rather, they quietly explored the surrounding area and retreated. I once found a report that they broke the windows in Joseph Brant's home, He was already dead for several years and the house was occupied by his widow. It seemed they knew that but were looking for some revenge for Brant's support of the British in the Revolution. I haven't been able to find that report again, but it will eventually turn up again.
I trace these things back to original sources - military orders, military reports, letters between officers and other people involved, reports published at the time, etc. I don't accept accounts written well after the fact by writers who don't report their sources so I can check them. Many history commentators are content to get their facts from other writers, and often carry on legends, myths, half truths, and outright lies and propoganda. I've even read accounts indicating that the Americans fired their cannons at the Kng's Head Inn, but the original military report simple stated "their debarkation being covered by the guns of the vessels, it was deemed prudent to fall back upon the reinforcements which though quickly brought forward, were too late to chastise the marauding acts of an enemy who have precipitately retreated and avoided a contest." Brigadier General Vincent to Sir George Prevost, 19th May, 1813.
On the other hand, Samuel Hatt, in charge of the militia that were away from the Beach when the Americans landed, stated "... I met him [Major Fitzgerald] within two miles of the Beach with a reinforcement of about 30 choice Militia, but he, I think properly too, thought proper to retire to my station at Durand's. The Yankeys burnt the Government House but did no other mischief, they sailed the next day ..." Durand's was near the foot of the mountain on the present line of John Street in Hamilton.
Does sailing the next day sound like a precipitatious retreat to avoid an attack by troops who were only two miles away? Samuel Hatt, of Ancaster, was much nearer to the site, and the truth, than Brigadier-General Vincent, who was at Fort George at the time, and was reporting to his superior officer! This illustrates the difficulty in determining the truth that lies somewhere in various conflicting reports.

I'm suspicious of the research on this issue by the consultant. Could you please send me a copy of the report?"

Fred

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
Yes, it's easy to miss additions to the various threads unless you think to chase down each one. I'm not as good at navigating the site as you are.
Thanks very much for the link to the report. I've only glanced at it so far, but I see the 1799 Stegmann Map is included. Someone asked me to post the map, but my scan is huge, and taken from a microfilm, with all the scratches and spots, so it would take a lot of work to clean it up enough to post here!
There's never enough time to do everything that I should do, or even just the things I want to do!
Fred

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks very much for the link to the report. I've only glanced at it so far, but I see the 1799 Stegmann Map is included. Someone asked me to post the map, but my scan is huge, and taken from a microfilm, with all the scratches and spots, so it would take a lot of work to clean it up enough to post here!

Fred
Is your copy of the map that much better than the one in the report??
If it is, I would like a try at cleaning that up.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I haven't had time yet to either read the report and see the map or to load my scans from my laptop and my USB Memory Stick to see how my own scans look, stitch them together, etc.
I don't have as much time as you do -- you're still working and I'm retired! :>)
Time is very tight on my side also (might get better when I retire), let me know about the map when time permits.

D Smith

Mar 4, 2008
I have been reading your postings on the burning of the King's Head Inn during the War of 1812. Very well researched indeed !!

Recently, I have being doing some research of my own regarding the events of the War that occurred in this area and was wondering if you could provide me with a reference for your quoted statement from Samuel Hatt........"On the other hand, Samuel Hatt, in charge of the militia that were away from the Beach when the Americans landed, stated "... I met him [Major Fitzgerald] within two miles of the Beach with a reinforcement of about 30 choice Militia, but he, I think properly too, thought proper to retire to my station at Durand's. The Yankeys burnt the Government House but did no other mischief, they sailed the next day ..." Durand's was near the foot of the mountain on the present line of John Street in Hamilton."
Most written work regarding the incident at the Inn suggest that Hatt was the commanding officer and had 60 militia garrisoned there at the time. Not mention of Major Fitzgerald ! I have the military correspondence from Vincent to Prevost regarding the attack but have had no luck finding further primary documents. Reading the above quote has certainly piqued my interest ! If you are able to tell me where this information originated, I'd really appreciate it !

BTW You mentioned in the same post that you remembered the following ......
"I once found a report that they broke the windows in Joseph Brant's home, He was already dead for several years and the house was occupied by his widow. It seemed they knew that but were looking for some revenge for Brant's support of the British in the Revolution. I haven't been able to find that report again, but it will eventually turn up again." Interestingly enough, I came across that same entry on page 322 of the book "Journal of John Norton, 1816" ........."The Enemy sent a detachment to the Head of Lake Ontario, burnt the Government House, landed near the house of the late Col. Brant, his Widow having retired with her family, they broke the Windows and returned to their Ships triumphant."..... Not sure if this helps any but thought I would pass it along anyway.
One other question if you don't mind.....was William Bates the Innkeeper at the time of the attack ?
Thanks so much for your assistance, D. Smith

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi D. Smith;
Thanks for joining up on the boards and your new info is a great addition to this thread, but very sorry I have never came across the name William Bates in any of my trips to the library or on the net. More to the story though.
Our History Mod (Fred B.) hasn't stop by for a time, hopefully he can update you on the info he has posted in past posts on his next trip in.

Top Bottom