Salt Storm(starting) 2012

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Makes one wonder how it will effect the bay water and reptiles, fish, insect, and bird species.
Some species prefer the salt, but they all live the ocean. Anyway I have no idea how they get away with polluting the harbour like they do. The massive piles of salt should be away from our water and far away from our community.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I had a look at the harbour and the canal on Saturday morning, the rains had stopped and the winds changed direction from the east to the west. I noticed that the harbour and the canal had long strips of a white substance, could this be salt?

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
It sure looks like it. It wouldn't surprise me when the piles are so close to the water.

Makes one wonder how this is going to effect the pleasure boats when salt is so corrosive.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It sure looks like it. It wouldn't surprise me when the piles are so close to the water.

Makes one wonder how this is going to effect the pleasure boats when salt is so corrosive.
I'm sure most of the salt that made into the water has made it's way out into the lake, I don't think it will be much of a problem for the boaters.

Nov 26, 2006
Brantford
Today brand new black tarps on the piles with hold downs, we will see how long it lasts but thanks to whoever got the lead out to get this accomplished

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Today brand new black tarps on the piles with hold downs, we will see how long it lasts but thanks to whoever got the lead out to get this accomplished
I just seen those yesterday.
I believe some complaining to the Ministry of the Environment by some Beach residents finally got those tarps back on the piles, they (the owners) said that were waiting for a shipment that never came before covering up the piles.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I came home last Wednesday from getting my van washed and I noticed that there was some white dust coming from Eastport Dr., so I went too see where it was coming from. As I drove past Granville Ave I could see a mountain of salt that was towering over the noise barrier.

I then travelled over to Eastport for a few pictures, it was getting a little late in the day so the pictures aren't the best, but notice the dust coming off of the pile.

The next morning I came out and my van had salt deposits all over it, I had just washed the van the day before.

And here is a picture from last Thurday of the uncovered salt pile;

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
More Salt

I came out this weekend to see that our clean cars were once again covered with salt. Checking on Eastport I noticed that the large pile near the ashphalt company was uncovered again.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A photo from yesterday after a couple storms with high winds, the black tarp has been stripped off by the wind on one pile, but there is another cover over the it.
I took this shot from a good distance away to show the sheer size of these things. They don't look all that big when you are directly in front of them, but the picture shows the depth of the piles.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This picture was sent in by our friends at Environment Hamilton, their comment was "why would they be moving salt around on such a blustery day?" This photo was taken on November 17th.

Yesterday I came out to a to see all the vehicles on my street covered in a layer of salt, I checked a few streets over and it was the same. Even cars on the lakeside were covered this time, so it was much more widespread than in the past.

This car is located three streets to the north.

The culprit, the same salt pile that EH photographed;

Wind direction data from November 19th.

Attachments

Nov 26, 2006
Brantford
wish I had my camera today and wasnt driving there was so much blowing you could smell it windows up on the QEW I feel sorry for you over on the beach this week

Top Bottom