The Falcons Have Flown the Coop

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Sadly no eggs this spring at the bald eagle's nest at Cootes Paradise. Let's hope it will happen next spring.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
3 at each nest this spring. There were 4 laid at the downtown nest but looks like the 4th egg isn't going to hatch.

For the bridge nest, they are going to do the banding on May 22nd.

Let's hope all goes well for all of the babies in both nests.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
3 at each nest this spring. There were 4 laid at the downtown nest but looks like the 4th egg isn't going to hatch.

For the bridge nest, they are going to do the banding on May 22nd.

Let's hope all goes well for all of the babies in both nests.
So there was three, Mark (CPF) wasn't 100 percent sure when he checked. Mark has told me in the past that two is the best for survival, but three is good.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
With banding dates being scheduled fast and furious, (and recent conflicts that have arisen), several bandings have had to be re-adjusted. The Burlington Lift Bridge banding has been rescheduled for Wednesday May 23rd at 10am.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Today was banding day. Anne Yagi, Biologist with the Ministry of Natural Resources performed the banding. We are happy to report that we have 3 healthy boys. Statistics are as follows:

Jimmy - Black Band 83/Y - wearing a green band on his right leg - weighing 669 grams - 24 days old.

Port Hope - Black Band 84/Y - wearing a yellow band on his right leg - weighing 636 grams - 24 days old

Carrey - Black Band 85/Y - wearing a red band on his right leg - weighing 686 grams (with a full crop) - 22 days old

Given that they are all males, the Official Fledge Watch will begin on May 31st.

Let the fun begin as they fledge and learn to fly and hunt. Thanks to PWGSC and the Lift Bridge Staff for their support.

Photos to follow.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/burlington-lift-bridge/

Looks like they named one after Jimmy Lomax. :)

I'm surprised they didn't give Jimmy the red band (hence Jimmy's red santa suit).

Last edited:

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Isn't that odd. 3 healthy boys at the downtown nest too. I guess no girls at either nests this year.

The birds are 26 days old and were named after local water falls in the Hamilton area; Beckett, Felker, and Tiffany.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Volunteers needed.

This is a call to YOU! The Canadian Peregrine Foundation will have a fledge watch beginning at the Burlington/Hamilton Liftbridge soon.

If you have a few hours to spare, please join us to help this threatened species. All over our cities, young Peregrine Falcons will be learning to fly. Often on their early flights they come to the ground, usually uninjured. As part of a fledge watch team you will be there to help rescue the newly flying falcon and help the species survive. No experience is needed, a senior watcher will be on site or a phonecall away. All you need is an old towel for a rescue if needed, be able to accept direction and a willingness to help.

Please contact CPF head office at 416-481-1233 or email us at frank@peregrine-foundation.ca if you'd like to help.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
The downtown babies were recently banded and Tiffany found the band and removed it already. I never heard of any removing them. It sounds like Tiffany might be a handful when he starts to fly. Got to love animals.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Carrey took his first flight and was placed back.

Poor Jimmy had to be rescued out of the bay. Luckily they were able to rescue him, especially when birds can't swim. A fisherman helped with his rescue. What trouble little ones can get into.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I was down there Sunday and seen Carrey in the cage, I heard that flew into the skyway, then the ground but was OK.
Jimmy was lucky to get out of the water.
Might head down there today or tomorrow and bring my camera this time.

Top Bottom