The Falcons Have Flown the Coop

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
No eggs at the downtown nest this year. Possible it might be from her age. She is 14 now and might be beyond her breeding years now. So it's possible as you said Scotto that Surge the male might find a new mate to father more offspring with. Well she did produce us a lot of offsprings over many years.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Well MadamX decided to fool us this year for a late start. She now has one egg in her nest. Let's hope for more within the next few days.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Surge her mate is younger then she is. He was born in 2002 and her in 1999.

Too bad that didn't happen with people. (joking) LOL

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Well I meant the amount laid. How many hatch is another story.

Still only one egg downtown.

And the baby eaglets are doing well at Cootes Paradise.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
One For Sure

May 01, 2013 - Burlington - Lift Bridge

Sue McCreadie Reports:

I am very happy to report that Bill and I saw one little white ball of fluff. Here's hoping that there will be more. I think the Lift Bridge has the first hatch in Ontario.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the falcon Site.

One For Sure

May 01, 2013 - Burlington - Lift Bridge

Sue McCreadie Reports:

I am very happy to report that Bill and I saw one little white ball of fluff. Here’s hoping that there will be more. I think the Lift Bridge has the first hatch in Ontario.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Volunteers needed for falcon watch.

Last year the Fledge Watch teams collectively rescued 21 juvenile peregrine falcons from imminent mortality and gave them a second chance at life. If you would like to be a part of one of these critical support teams this June, we would love to hear from you. Please send us an email to raptor4@peregrine-foundation.ca with your name, a contact number, your site of interest and a general indication of the time you can share. We will be following up with you with further details about the site you are going to attend and the expected start date for that watch. Fasten your seatbelts and return your trays to the upright position for lift off in June!! As always it promises to be one amazing flight after another!!!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The little ones were banded today, three females and one male. More info to follow once it is posted on the Peregrine Site.
It was a tad foggy, but this pic shows the nesting box covered while the babies are being removed.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Much easier to get them out unlke the downtown nest site where they have to get rock climbers in. Plus dealing with a protective mom diving at him.

It be interesting to see what they name them. :)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Today was the first banding day in Ontario. Given some changes to the protocol at the Lift Bridge, things were handled a little differently today. At about 9:30 this morning Clare from the Lift Bridge accompanied Mark Nash from CPF to the nest box in the tower. The board was placed across the opening and the little ones extracted. They were brought to the garage in the parking lot for banding. Anne Yagi and her assistant Karine Beriault from the Ministry of Natural Resources did the honors. I'm really happy to report that we have 4 very healthy and VERY noisy baby peregrines. The noise in the garage was unbelievable. Cirrus and McKenzie did not take too kindly to being separated from the kids. Within minutes of the young being put back into the nest box Cirrus was there to check on them and to inspect their new jewelry.

The details are as follows:

Lancaster: Male - 702 grams - 25 days old - black band 90/Y with yellow tape

Isabelle: Female 974 grams - 25 days old - black band S/26 with red tape

Sarah: Female - 1014 grams - 26 days old - banded band S/27 with green tape

Hadfield: Female - 987 grams - 26 days old - black band S/28 with blue tape

Many thanks to Ann and Karine from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Lee Chan, Clare, John and Todd from PWGSC for their assistance today.

Photos will follow shortly.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2013/05/sightings/a-very-noisy-morning/

Top Bottom