The Falcons Have Flown the Coop

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Isn't that strange they changed the location.

I've been watching MadamX on the downtown camera and no eggs yet but should happen any day now.

Not sure if there are any eggs at the bald eagles nest at Cootes Paradise yet. If they do it will be first nesting on lake Ontario in about 50 years. Let's keep our fingers crossed they lay some eggs.

Such beautiful birds they all are.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Isn't that strange they changed the location.

I've been watching MadamX on the downtown camera and no eggs yet but should happen any day now.

Not sure if there are any eggs at the bald eagles nest at Cootes Paradise yet. If they do it will be first nesting on lake Ontario in about 50 years. Let's keep our fingers crossed they lay some eggs.

Such beautiful birds they all are.
In past years the downtown birds always laid the eggs first, must be the warm weather.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Looks like we were a little premature, the female is no longer roosting on the "playpen", it sure look as though she was sitting on some eggs. There is nothing there today?

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
First egg laid today at the downtown nest. I thought she was going to today. She stayed close to the nest site all day today.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
First egg laid today at the downtown nest. I thought she was going to today. She stayed close to the nest site all day today.
The downtown nest gets the eggs first, as usual. Seen both of the bridge birds this morning, niether bird seem interested in nesting, just sitting on the wires watching for their next meal.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Egg number 3 has been laid earlier today at the downtown nest. Plus while watching the cam for a while I also saw that MadamX and Surge were mating still.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Anyone remember where Cirrus and Mackenzie were born at?
I don't follow it well enough to remember if those birds were from this nesting place or not and the peregrine site doesn't seem to have a search option to check. Bill and Sue, who visit the bridge almost everyday would know.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I found this info on a bird talk message board. In 2006 at a nest site in Dayton Ohio and was named Cirrus.

Mackenzie was hatched at Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre in 2002.

http://rochesterfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=328.0

I found this info on the same site about Surge. Isn't that strange both Mackenzie and Surge from the downtown nest were from the same nest site and both ended up in our areas. So it looks like Mackenzie and Surge are brothers.

Surge was hatched and produced at the Etobicoke - Bloor and Islington (Sun Life Centre) nest site in 2002.

MadamX was banded and hatched at a Pennsylvania bridge in 1999.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I found this info on a bird talk message board. In 2006 at a nest site in Dayton Ohio and was named Cirrus.

Mackenzie was hatched at Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre in 2002.

http://rochesterfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=328.0

I found this info on the same site about Surge. Isn't that strange both Mackenzie and Surge from the downtown nest were from the same nest site and both ended up in our areas. So it looks like Mackenzie and Surge are brothers.

Surge was hatched and produced at the Etobicoke - Bloor and Islington (Sun Life Centre) nest site in 2002.

MadamX was banded and hatched at a Pennsylvania bridge in 1999.
Makes you wonder if Surge and Mackenzie know that they are related.
Over the years many of the birds that came this had roots in Pennsylvania, must of had a good progam there.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
The downtown nest now has 4 eggs. I figured there would be another when I saw them mating again the other day. She usually lays 4 but last year was only 3.

No more news yet on the bridge nest on the link posted. And no news yet on the bald eagles at Cootes Paradise.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
The news of the lift bridge nest site. There are some eggs but didn't mention how many. I guess we will have to wait to see. :)

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I bet the falcons are going to be extremely agressive with the workers trying to repair the cables on the bridge when she is incubating right now.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I bet the falcons are going to be extremely agressive with the workers trying to repair the cables on the bridge when she is incubating right now.
The cable problem was on the opposite side, so no issue as far as I know.
Shoudn't be long before we have a new set of falcons.

Top Bottom