Salt Storm(starting) 2012

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
wish I had my camera today and wasnt driving there was so much blowing you could smell it windows up on the QEW I feel sorry for you over on the beach this week
Pictures, pictures, pictures, we need pictures. The OPP don't like it when you are driving and taking pictures.
More salt on my van today, but they are salting the roads this time around.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
could be lots of salt from them moving the pile of salt from one spot to another 200 yards away
Yes, when being moved in any way, it can easily drift over to properties on the other side of the highway, Just leaving it in huge piles and uncover during high winds and more comes over to our community. We put up with the impact of industry on the Beach, which has been considerable over the years, I really don't see why we have to add salt to the problem.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It has been almost a year since I have posted any of on going salt fall out pictures and general shots of the mountains just on the other side of the QEW.

These were taken last February 4th (2014) on Eastport Dr., I hade a nice coating of salt on my van that was washed the day before, but there was salt on all the streets as well, just some a little more for us on the Beach.

Moving ahead to March 27th, the end of the piles, but left uncovered.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Then more salt was delivered to Eastport Dr., this photo was taken July 4th, notice the uncovered piles.

Next up, July 15th I was called by a couple of residents concerning the salt fall out that night, I was told that it blown right in their faces during high winds, one was a young girl.
I asked them to call the MOE.
From July 16th, uncovered piles on Eastport Dr,

MOE did stop by the Beach that morning and took samples of a white substance that was covering many of the vehicles over many sidestreets.

A shot of my barbeque, which I use regularly;

A copy of one of the MOE results;

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the end of September (21st), more uncovered piles;

The salt company has crews working to cover the piles;

But the next morning this is what was covering my vehicle and I am certain that MTO wasn't out salting the highway in September;

A few days later, all is covered;

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I took this picture on November 4th, the large pile is open, so I called the MOE to see if we could get something done before it impacts our community.

And finally from today, the pile is still open it and we had 50km plus winds, out of the west the night before;

And this afternoon I received an email from the MOE about this open pile, this is part of the response to our concerns;

"I (MOE) also attended the site of the salt pile shortly after lunch on November 5 and confirmed that the cover was in a raised position, however, there was no evidence of run off from the pile and the immediate area of the working face of the pile was properly maintained without any fines that could become airborne. The face of the pile had crusted over and no fines were visible, and the immediate area had no residual salt on the pavement."

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
wow these guys need to be there when its windy maybe then they would care
The fall out isn't hitting their property and the piles have been moved away from my street so it would have to be a really big wind out of the north west to hit my area. But residents around the area of the store (721 Beach Blvd) and Rembe Ave. should keep a good watch on windy days.

Are you still driving truck?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The high winds (out of the SW at 80km) from last Tuesday have opened up the salt pile to about half way;

Compared to the picture from a few days ago, much of salt at the north end of the pile is gone;

Nov 26, 2006
Brantford
The fall out isn't hitting their property and the piles have been moved away from my street so it would have to be a really big wind out of the north west to hit my area. But residents around the area of the store (721 Beach Blvd) and Rembe Ave. should keep a good watch on windy days.

Are you still driving truck?
yes I am but not in Hamilton anymore went to a more friendly place LOL

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another update, two pictures showing the uncovered piles which were taken on Boxing Day and there were many days with high winds.

Move ahead to today (Jan 2nd), I received a couple calls from residents on the side streets informing that there was a salt incident to night before. The streets that were impacted included Wickham, Knapman and Windermere.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Today we had some moderate winds out of the west and north-west at approximately 60km, the first pile was still uncovered and the second pile was open and being loaded on to trucks.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have received a few phone calls from resident near the Wickham Ave. area complaining about salt dust on their vehicles and property in the last couple of days, if you live near these salt piles and are impacted by the fallout, please call the MOE and let them know. The phone number for the local Hamilton office is 905-521-7650 or the 24 hour line 1-800-268-6060.
I would appreciate an email as well, <hbcf@cogeco.ca>

Top Bottom