Salt Storm(starting) 2012

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another Update

In this picture from January 16th, the pile that has been sending salt in Beach neighbourhoods is almost gone.

In this picture taken February 10th, a new pile has been opened but workers only have a small opening and the salt seems to be contained.

But move ahead to February 15th and the pile is wide open with inclement weather on the way.

On to March 9th, the last pile is slowly dwindling down, but uncovered.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yup, I can see those from my house as well - I can only imagine how much of that salt would end up in the bay, if we got a good rain.
Yes look back through the pictures and there are many with streams of white floating from that end of the harbour out through the canal. Imagine how much salt ends up on your property on anything that is metal and can corrode, including your vehicle.

Maybe they are trying to get the salt water going for the Marineland project.
http://www.hammerinthenews.com/posts/you-ve-got-whale-hamilton-harbour-home-for-marineland-s-sealife

Sebastian

May 1, 2014
Beach Strip
Hehehe... they could definitely enhance that article with those pictures of heaps of salt gathered in preparation :).

But in all seriousness, is there anything we can do about that uncovered salt?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hehehe... they could definitely enhance that article with those pictures of heaps of salt gathered in preparation :).

But in all seriousness, is there anything we can do about that uncovered salt?
I have been complaining to the salt companies and to MOE since 2012 and I have been keeping track with this thread, doesn't seem to be doing much in the end.

May 15th, a new pile has been unloaded from a ship and is being added to a large pile next to it.

May 18th, high winds were in the forecast, but never materialized. This massive pile is waiting to be covered.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This photo was taken on July 28th, the pile was left uncovered for most of the week with a couple days having 50 km winds. Today this pile is only half covered.

A couple days later on July 31st, a ship unloads another pile of salt.

This is the open pile left after the ship unloaded, taken on August 1st;

From today (August 2nd), residents on the sidestreets between Grafton and Lagoon woke up to salt on their vehicles and property.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
More stormy weather and more salt on the cars and properties, these were taken August 3rd on the streets closest to the open salt piles, Knapman Ave and Windermere Ave.

This photo was taken later on in the day at about the same time the Ti-Cat game was suspended in the second quarter due to poor weather conditions with lightning.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I was contacted by a resident who lives near Rembe Ave. in the 700's, her house is directly east of the piles now being moved. She asked me to have a look at her steel garage door that up until last year had been in good shape. Now look at it;

She had the door pressure washed a couple times but salt has corroded the finish and is right into the metal cover, this was a well made door.

The old sign above the garage door use to be a bright blue;

Her downspouts and eves trough also show signs of damage;

This is aerial photo from last year, the salt piles are in the same general place this year and the blue arrow points to where this resident's home is located. Which is directly east of the salt piles.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Move ahead to today (August 24th), with many blustery days, we still have uncovered piles of salt.
Edit, at 4pm winds reached 47.8 km per hour and were out of the SW(230 degrees)

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It begins again, an uncovered mountain of salt located with in close distance to our community, this photo was taken on February 1st and as you can see the back pile is open and any high winds out of the west will impact residents near the old store.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I haven't been paying much attention to the piles lately as we had a mild winter and very little of the salt was used and therefore the piles have been closed. I received an email from our Councillor with complaints from residents that their properties were impacted with a salt fallout. I had to back track to the day when we had high winds, on June 5th at 2:31 pm we had winds out of the west that hit 84kph.
This picture shows dust from the coal piles at Stelco coming across the harbor;

I didn't think much of the salt until the complaints came in.
These picture were taken on June 14th (2016) and you can see that the pile that has been open and used this year has some visible salt stains and the unused pile beside it is clean from salt.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This picture was taken on July 13th, notice that more salt has been blown away from the pile.

A better close up.

Just after midnight on July 14th, the was a storm with high winds out of the west reaching 75km.
Notice the change the shape of the pile and the salt stains, the same type of stains when the Beach had complaints sent into the City.

From July 15th, vehicles impacted with a white substance on Clare Ave.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From July 30th, open pile;

And July 31s, the pile closest to the harbour;

Photo taken on August 2nd, crews moving salt and pilling it on the site closest to the harbour.

More mountains of open salt, taken on August 3rd;

A wider angle showing the open piles (August 3rd);

Five days later on August 8th, there is one huge pile and still uncovered.

Finally the pile is covered on August 16th;

A photo from September 13th showing the position and vast size of these salt piles. On this day the piles are covered and there is very little wind.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
More salt being unloaded on September 19th from a ship to be moved to another pile later;

This photo was taken on November 22nd, the pile near the harbour has been open all week with highs winds out of the west. The pile is across from Windermere Ave.

Just a couple of days before Christmas and the Port has given the Beach Community a present, free salt. Both ends of the outer pile are open as of today.

Christmas day and no action on covering the open pile;

Check piles on December 29th and the large pile is still uncovered and it looks like it has gotten bigger.

The pile closer to the Beach now has salt residue on the sides;

From the north side you see that the salt company has opened the pile closest to the Beach and is moving salt from it, possibly to the open pile near the harbour.
We also had moderate winds out of the west today.
The tarp covering the pile is flapping around from the wind.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
For December 30th, the north end of the pile closest to the Beach Community has been covered over again, but the large pile behind it remains uncovered.

A photo from December 31st show salt being blown from the back pile onto the cover of the pile closest to the Beach.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Our first report for 2017 and the salt company on Port land still has no interest in covering the massive salt piles on Eastport Dr.
With two piles open today (January 4th) and high winds out of the north east many properties and vehicles were covered in salt, the streets impacted were Clare Ave., Grandville Ave., Comet Ave., Grafton Ave., and Wickham Ave.

The back pile is now partially covered but open on the south end.

The front pile is also open on the south end.

Top Bottom